Seasonal Pet Care Tip from Community Animal Hospital

Winter and The Risk of Antifreeze Poisoning in Pets

As we’re winterproofing our cars, antifreeze is often a common household substance. The poisonous ingredient in antifreeze, ethylene glycol, is useful for our cars in a variety of ways. Antifreeze, chemicals that help de-ice windshields, and brake fluid all contain ethylene glycol.

While antifreeze helps our cars run in peak condition, it’s important to be careful with antifreeze around our pets. The sweet smell and taste make it one of the most common forms of poisoning in pets. Antifreeze may accidentally spill, or it may drip from car radiators after being parked. It only takes a small amount of antifreeze to be lethal to dogs and cats.

The Symptoms of Antifreeze Poisoning

As potentially lethal antifreeze is, effective treatment is possible if given within the first 8-12 hours of an accident. If your pet was recently around spilt or dripping antifreeze or you suspect they may have licked any up, please contact us immediately.

The symptoms of antifreeze poisoning in pets include:

  • Your pet is acting confused and seems impaired.
  • They are drinking more water than usual.
  • They are urinating more frequently.
  • They are acting sleepy and lethargic.
  • They are panting excessively.
  • They are vomiting.
  • They are unresponsive.